Saturday, May 24, 2008

Big words for little boys!

Yesterday afternoon my eldest son ran to tell me very excitedly that his younger brother had barricaded himself in the living room by pushing the sofa against the door.

He was more bothered by the fact that he couldn't get in.

I was most impressed by his use of the word barricaded!

He's only 6.

We could see through the glass panel that his three year old brother was just happily playing with all the toys, looking up at us in "gotcha" kind of way.

I could have pushed the door open, but we both agreed to wait patiently and eat some sweets in full view, on our side of the door.

The lessons in strategy worked...

...until the door opened, the little soldier came out and my eldest ran in to occupy the barricaded territory taking the sweets with him, and was quickly followed by his younger brother in an attempt to join him.

As for me, I saw the opportunity for some peace and quiet, safe in the knowledge that suppertime was just around the corner.

4 Comments:

Frog in the Field said...

They're so bloody clever!
I'm thinking barricading myself in somewhere sounds good too..

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee, I love that you tempted him out with sweeties. And 'barricaded' is a great word for a six year old.

Her indoors said...

Hi Frog in the Field...I think barricading oneself is sometimes the only answer...I've even barricaded myself into the loo on times, just for a little piece and quiet ;-D

Hi Jo - I'm just gutted they captured the sweeties and headed me off. The silence was beautiful though ;-D

Anonymous said...

Just wait until they're a little older and you have to swop sweets for something a whole lot more expensive. Sweets just aren't going to cut it forever!