Wednesday, February 06, 2008

One Starry Starry Night

Photo by Flickr's The Muffin Man

Tonight I drove out into deepest darkest Suffolk, many miles away from Bury St Edmunds. Believe me, it was very dark. It was so dark, that there was no light pollution at all, and because of this I could see the stars twinkling and embellishing the night's sky, so bright, so clear and so beautiful.

It's at times like this that I realise how small we all are, compared to the large expanse of space that lies above and which has existed for billions of years.

On clear nights like this, when we are looking up at the sky, the astronauts are able to look back down at us and while we admire the stars, they see this...



It was such a treat to enjoy such a clear brightly lit sky and within only a short drive. In many other areas people will never have the joy of such wonder.

If you want to find out more about light pollution, I've just discovered the CPRE site for the UK. There is also a great international site which contains world maps, which makes very interesting reading.


5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You can see that it's Carnival in Rio.

Patricia said...

Beautiful post - thought provoking!

Her indoors said...

Hi David - it's incredible, all that light from just one place. What's also interesting is to see how dark inland Spain is compared to the coast.

Thanks Patricia - glad you liked it. I just found the sky amazing. I just wish I'd been a passenger driving through Suffolk instead of the driver. Then I could have enjoyed it even more.

MarkG said...

It was a great view of the stars on Wednesday, unfortunately I didn't notice until late on, otherwise I'd have gone out for a walk with the camera.

Luckily we live a little out of the way, so don't suffer too much from light pollution. Instead we get lots of helicopters whizzing around which always makes for interesting streaks of light on any star photos!

Her indoors said...

Hi Mark - how wonderful that you get regular views of such beautiful skies. It's great that you've got the technology for getting wonderful photos.