Friday, February 08, 2008

Down at the Nick

Following my week of bad news, today I was invited to the local police station to give a statement about the damage to my car.

I've never been to a police station before and I must admit I did feel a little nervous upon arrival, despite the warm but professional welcome. I don't know why. It must have been down to my long-held respect for authority.

My mind quickly moved to thoughts of The Bill and more recently the BBC's latest series, Ashes-to-Ashes, which is set in the 80s. I suppose, when you find yourself in a police station, it is easy to fall back onto the stereotypes with which we are familiar (at least I wasn't thinking about Dixon of Dock Green - and yes I am old enough to remember enjoying it in the 1970s)

Even though I am the innocent party, I was still relieved to be accompanied into the big wide world again, remembering that freedom is one of the best pleasures we can own.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You have never been in a police station before? That's quite amazing. I've been there a few times, usually handing in lost wallets, nothing exciting.

I'm loving your new Rubbish Diet blog, very interesting. I've just mentioned it on my new blog, do pop by when you get a chance.

www.parentingissues.typepad.com

Christina S said...

I don't know why I'm admitting this, but in my early twenties I had my handbag snatched in the street and had to go to the police station and look at mugshot books, with my friend who was with me at the time. And as we were looking through the book, we kept seeing people we knew in there. It was hilarious.

Told you I shouldn't have admitted that ...

Phil Woodford said...

I remember trying to hand in a wallet at Holloway nick in north London. The guy on the desk looked at me as if I were from another planet. There was a clear suspicion that I was somehow implicated in its theft, as no member of the public would willingly enter a police station and produce a piece of lost property.

Bury Boy said...

21CM yiou were lucky to find the "nick" open. But you are right they are very professional and quite helful. Did you get the impression that Police people are getting younger?

Her indoors said...

Hi Rosie - I will have to get myself organised and come and visit parenting issues. I am missing Ingenious Rose, so will come and see you soon. Thanks for the mention too. I think I must be very lucky never to have been in a Police Station before. Don't know how I've managed it, especially thinking of some of the places I've lived ;-D

LOL Ruby - at least you keep better company these days. All the people you now know end up with mugshots in the Bury Free Press....and I bet you still have a giggle all the same ;-D

Hi PW - thanks for visiting - all I can say is after such efforts I hope you got the wallet handed back. ;-D

Hi Bury Boy - LOL, they are getting younger aren't they. However the police officer who helped me was only just younger than me, but she actually looked younger than that. When I came out, a car drove off with some very very young officers in it. Now that made me sight ;-D

Anonymous said...

Evenin' All - I'm old enough to remember watching DODG in the 50's but have, of course, no recollection of the 70's. Mind How You Go.

Her indoors said...

LOL David - Of course I am now wondering what you got up to in the 70s...I bet you dare not say eh? :-D