Saturday, February 09, 2008

Check out my new phone!


Admittedly, it's a bit big and doesn't quite fit in the pocket, but it does the job perfectly and is very convenient to use, while my Nokia N95 is being repaired in Newmarket (thanks to 21st C Dad). It's been a while since I've used a BT phonebox and actually I am pretty impressed.

For those who like the traditional aspects of telephone boxes, this one comes with the obligatory cigarette burn on the plastic notice cover as well as a butt-end left on the floor. Please note, it was a singular cigarette end. This is Bury St Edmunds you know and we have standards to maintain.

However, for someone like me who loves the appeal of modern technology, I was delighted to see that this phone box also offers text messaging (10p per message) as well as email facilities (20p per message).

The only shock was the cost of a phone call, minimum cost of 40p. Call me a cheapskate, but 40p to leave a message on my home answerphone was a tad expensive, although if I had been talking to another person that 40p would have given me a whole 20 minutes of gabbing and that is a bargain!

It was strange not to have my phone to hand, but in a funny old way I was enjoying the freedom. Hmmm, I'll think I'll do that more often.

(By the way, did you know that there are still 63,000 BT payphones dotted around the UK? You can even find out where they are located, by clicking here.)

6 Comments:

Christina S said...

Gosh, 40p! I remember when it cost 2p to make a phone call!

LOL @ the Bury St Edmunds phone box with only one cigarette butt :-D

Anonymous said...

But do you remeber button A????????????

Rosie said...

A BT Phonebox??? I didn't think they existed anymore. Reminds me of my university days when we all used to queue up outside to phone home. I can't imagine doing that now. I have to say though that although mobile phones are great sometimes it is too easy to be contacted. If I'd had a mobile at university my parents would have been phoning me to check I was wearing a vest, was eating my greens etc. That level of contact at any time of the day or night would not have been a good thing!

Her indoors said...

Hi Ruby - 2p, I remember those days. I also remember Tapping the phone and getting the call for free...We had one of those dial phone boxes in the village, and if you tapped on the receiver holder the relevant number of times for each digit, the call connected at no cost. Genius eh...I don't really remember how that worked, but it did....hope it doesn't get me into trouble, now that I've admitted to that.

Hi Button Girl...Button A! Of course...but I had forgotten about it...It must go down in history as the most annoying feature of any telecoms technology anywhere...thank goodness it's been banished. ;-D

Hi Rosie - I remember the freedom very well too. Didn't realise that it was freedom then though. Things are so different today. I even have my mother texting me those terrible jokes. Some of them even make my eyes water ;-D

Jo Beaufoix said...

I'm sorry, but I have to ask...did it smell of wee??

Her indoors said...

LOL Jo - of course not, this is Bury St Edmunds, you know ;-D