Thursday, December 06, 2007

Say hello to Nakima


She is a 36 year old chimpanzee who lives at a Monkey Sanctuary in Swansea. She loves to wear clothes and spend time in bed....

and...she will soon be introduced to my mother...

You see, when you have someone who doesn't know what they want for Christmas and you've got no idea what to get them but would still like to show them that you care, you have to sometimes think "out of the box".

So this Christmas, I have adopted Nakima for the next twelve months as a gift for my mum.

Now it may seem a bit of an odd present, but for a woman who nagged us as children to write to "Jim'll Fix It" to arrange for her to attend a chimpanzee's tea party, I think this will make her happy.

My mother will now be able to visit Nakima at the Cefn-Yr-Erw Primate Rescue Sanctuary as many times as she likes and will receive regular news about her progress. Far more satisfying than yet another handbag (for some).

I blame it on the old PG Tips adverts! If you need a reminder, here's your opportunity to reminisce:






4 Comments:

grumpyoldwoman said...

What a great present - lucky Mum. I once gave my husband the Fathers Day present of sponsoring a peregrine falcon for a year and he was much more thrilled than when he received socks the year before.

My father has heart disease and his birthday and christmas pressies are always a donation to the British Heart Foundation.

Its the thought behind the present that counts - not the present itself.

Her indoors said...

Hi Grumps - wow a peregrine falcon. Now that's amazing. You're right about it being the thought that counts. I can't wait until my mum gets the envelope with her adoption card. I just wish I could see her face. ;-D

Jo Beaufoix said...

I used to love those ads when I was little. We have adopted a tiger called Malu Pothi for Miss E this Christmas as she adores them. I just hope she doesn't expect to bring her home. :D

Her indoors said...

Hi Jo - that's a brilliant idea! Miss E should enjoy the idea that she's helping to look after an animal in need (hmm - that's cheaper and easier than pets too!). I've been enjoying your blog but rushing about too much to comment. I think it's called "trying to pack too much into one day" everyday. Hope to slow down after the Christmas rush. ;-D