Sunday, June 03, 2007

Minty memories from Wales



Despite the very hot weather today I decided to cook the lamb roast that I bought during yesterday's visit to Wyken. I don't know why, but I suddenly felt compelled to make some mint sauce (this is not a habit which is why I am still a bit shocked).

I found our patch of fresh mint in the garden, which is still pretty small for a renowned invasive plant that has been growing there for three years, and took some leaves back into the kitchen for chopping.

Immediately I was taken back to my memories as a little girl chopping mint in my nan's kitchen in Wales. I can't remember how old I was, but I remember often helping her in the kitchen, shelling peas and slicing carrots that had just been picked from the garden, chopping sage for stuffing, or mixing the dough for Welsh cakes. However, my favourite job was always chopping the mint and helping her make the mint sauce. I still remember the worn out wooden chopping board and old fashioned knife to this very day.

So the recipe (all from memory, so it's fairly vague)...consisted of:

1 tablespoon of freshly chopped mint leaves
3 tablespoons of freshly boiled water
2 or 3 teaspoons of caster sugar
1 or 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to taste

and hey presto lovely mint sauce. Even my husband fell off his chair, not just by the fact that I'd made it, but also by the fact that it was "edible"!

2 Comments:

Christina S said...

"This is not a habit which is why I am still a bit shocked" LOL!!! I am also shocked every time I cook something properly - especially bake a cake!!

Thanks for the recipe. I have some rampant mint in my garden, and shall be trying it out! I can remember my grandma used to make her own mint sauce but I have no idea how she did it. She always used to let me help with scone making - maybe I'll have a go at that again now, last time was when I was about 12 I think!

Her indoors said...

Wow - you've got a rampant mint plant. I keep trying to get my mint to take over the patch that it's in, but can never seem to do so.