Sunday, June 03, 2007

A half-term outing to Wyken Hall





Yesterday, we went on a family outing to the Farmers' Market at Wyken Hall. It was such a beautiful sunny day that we just couldn't resist venturing out, especially as we'd cooped ourselves up at home for most of half-term because of the potty training malarkey.

W
hen I opened the fridge yesterday and found that it was mostly bare, it was time to go hunting for some sustenance, so off we went to one of our favourite places. It was such a lovely day that we decided to have lunch first and were tempted by the freshly cooked pork & apple burgers, which you can buy at the market.



After lunch we went for a walk across the beautiful meadow which was full of purple clover flowers and long yellow buttercups.



I then left the children playing under the watchful eye of my husband, while I went off to do what I do best...shop.

Here are some images from the fabulous Farmers' Market.




It's hard to forget that Wyken is also famous for its Vineyard. They sell their wines onsite in the Leaping Hare shop and I am particularly fond of the white wine and their sparkling variety called Moonshine (you can see the fantastic display here).



It was difficult resisting a few bottles to bring home, but I remembered and stuck by my self-imposed abstinence in exchange for the textile bowl that I lovingly brought home from Blackthorpe Barn last weekend. Never mind, there are only three more weeks to go, so I will return at the end of June.

In the meantime, I look forward to the wonderful lamb, cheeses and smoked salmon that I bought at the market.

Unfortunately the website for Wyken Vineyards is not available as it is currently being revamped. However, you can keep up with the musings of one of the owners of the Vineyard, Carla Carlisle, who pens the weekly Spectator column for the Country Life magazine.



0 Comments: