Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What we've been waiting for...




If you live in Bury St Edmunds, or indeed are near enough to visit...I can't wait to introduce you to a new venue that has been a long time in waiting....

It's new...

It's in demand...

It's exciting....

It's child-friendly...

It has coffee...

It has cake...

It's even going to have wi-fi...

and it's in the centre of town!

"So what is it?", I hear you cry/shout/insist* (*please delete as necessary).

Well, it's the place that I know I've been waiting for!

If you have kids, you will be thankful for its arrival.

If you love cafes, but don't love kids, you will be even more grateful....

...because the place that I am talking about is a cafe for people with kids...a haven...somewhere where you can go for a coffee (or a cup of tea...or indeed water) and the children can play, draw, be creative.... need I say more?

I don't think I could sell it to you anymore...

...because it can simply sell itself!

Yes Ladies and Gentlemen...the place that I am raving about is a fabulous cafe that has just opened in Bury St Edmunds, called Coffee 'n' Kids!

It does what it says on the tin...you can have a coffee and take the children along too!

I know that I love some other venues in town, but I think this one gets my vote.

So if you are in Bury St Edmunds and fancy a coffee with the kids, pop along to Langton Place where you will make everyone happy... including those without kids who can be left sipping their drinks in peace elsewhere!

...and there's more...can you believe it?...

...they even have a party room where the children can paint ceramics!


With all this to hand, I know I'm going to be a regular.

If you need any more convincing, pop along to their website which can be found at: www.coffeeandkids.co.uk

15 Comments:

Bury Boy said...

Great that leaves the grown up cafe for grown ups ? LOL only joking. ( decanter is worth a visit, dougie and jane are doing the business). now all we need is cafe for dogs ???
Saying that I must complement the grid and cafe nero for florrie pampering.

Cybèle said...

They should have started this 5 years ago, when I still used a buggy! Brilliant idea though.

Anonymous said...

its a lovely place with a great owner, the coffe is good quality but cheap!! Rolls that children will eat to not fancy stuff that they turn their noses up at. Just a quick note there is a booklet avaliable from the RSPCA charity shop at the bottom of kings road listing ALL the pubs and places in bury where dogs are welcome. Well worth a read.

Rosie said...

It looks great. We're definitely moving south now.

Richard Rout said...

I've seen them preparing to open over the past few weeks and think it's an excellent idea.

From a business perspective it fills a niche and should work if they are able to keep their customer turnover high enough to pay the bills. My worry would be that the nature of the place encourages longer visits and, unless the coffee etc is quite expensive, this will hit how fast they can turn tables and thus profitability.

I agree with Bury Boy - we need a dog friendly cafe, I'm tired of sheltering under the doorway of Starbucks every time it rains.

Florries Mum said...

Richard can you clarify the local law on dogs in eating places please? I have an inkling that there isn't anything against it, just a long-held urban myth that it is against the law. Occasionally I have been allowed into Cafe Nero on a quiet Sunday morning with Florrie and tucked her into the window seat. I love to take her with me, and there are now lots of places with seats out-side, but as you say, not in the inclement weather! Perhaps a new business opportunity beckons? BB-you know I wanted a change in work_____

Richard Rout said...

I'll look into it - I've just had a long held assumption that it is against health and safety legislation. If there is a law outlawing it some pubs manage to get around it somehow. I'll get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Florrie's Mum! Not sure how or why I came to know this, but as far as I remember, the law only prevents dogs from going into a food preparation area not the actual eating part of a cafe / restaurant....which fits with the notion of allowing guide dogs inside. I think the fact of keeping dogs outside is borne more from the general public's (misguided) perception that its unhygienic to have dogs around an eating area.....I'm sure Richard will get more accurate info but wonder if my recollection is true?

Florries Mum said...

Baba-thanks for that. I think you're right, as obviously some places don't have a problem with this. Which takes us back to 21stMums' original thought-some people like places with children, while some people like places with dogs. Or we could all go and live in France-no problem there. I've been in the poshest restaurants there for dinner, and seen a little doggie head pop up from someone's lap to be fed-now I do draw the line somewhere!

Richard Rout said...

Baba, I think you may be correct. The closest thing I can find to an answer is here on pages 16 and 17. I wonder if cafes run into problems because the food preparation area is often part of a larger open planned area and not a separate room.

Rosie said...

By the way I've tagged you in a meme. No pressure of course. You have to write your memiors but in no more than 6 words!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Wow, that looks great. :D
Sorry I've not replied to your email yet. It's been crazy her. I'll be in touch soon. Oh, and congrats on The Times mention. Brilliant. :D

Her indoors said...

Hi BB - LOL, are you sure you and FM don't want to meet me and Ruby at the kids place...LOL..The Decanter sounds fab, must make a note to visit.

Hi Cybèle - with the ceramic painting, I think we could make use of the new place fore years ;-D

Hi Milly - thanks for popping by and the top tip. That sounds like it will come in handy.

Hi Rosie - come and visit us in Bury St Edmunds...please, please, please. You could even bring IJ.
By the way, I've done your MEME...admit I've cheated but I had a go ;-D
Hi Richard - and welcome. It shouldn't have a problem with customers like me who happen to get cake and biscuits to go with all the drinks...and the homemade cakes are very tasty ;-D

Thanks also to you and Baba for sorting out the canine questions from Florriesmum. FM, you never know...we could see a new business sprouting up...Dogs and Dinners...it's got a ring to it don't you think? LOL x

Hi Jo - it is great...why don't you come on down too :-D Suffolk is great for holidays and I am a fab tour guide. Thanks for the good wishes. It is all very exciting. ;-D

Florries Mum said...

Thanks for allowing me to hijack your blog-perhaps the new cafe will have tables outside and we will not feel like social pariahs-I wonder if this is how smokers feel? Love the name for the new business BTW-any takers?

Melitsa said...

Always good to see new kid friendly places in BSE. It will be great when we come back to visit.