Friday, February 29, 2008

Bedtime disturbance

"Arrrrgghhh Owwwww!", came the shriek at 2 o'clock this morning.

The muscles in my back were in spasm as I rolled to the side. I'd been asleep, but shrieked myself awake.

"WHAT THE HELL'S THAT!", said 21st C Dad, as he sat up in shock.

It was a pain worse than childbirth and it was not numbing down.

As he attempted to massage my lower back, the pressure made it worse. I screamed again.

There was nothing for it but to get out of bed and venture downstairs in the early hours of the morning. I needed research.

I hurt my back yesterday morning when I picked up my wriggly three year old. He was in mid tantrum and I twisted awkwardly when trying to balance. But nothing had prepared me for the pain that was to come, especially after staying still for a few hours without moving a muscle.

The Internet is a godsend on occasions like this. A quick search can ease your fears in no time at all...or on the other hand it can build the situation completely out of proportion. Thankfully, it looked like I had nothing to fear but a trapped nerve...

I tell you what though, it really is some trapped nerve, which manages to wind me when I'm least expecting.

It's at times like this that I really wish I'd kept up with Yoga as I need to be a lot more supple.

On the subject of Yoga, I just thought I'd share the fabulous news that my one-time (and that's not because I did it just the once) yoga teacher Carole, who runs the Self Centre in Bury St Edmunds, trekked down to see Chris Evans this week to run Johnny through some yoga moves, live in the studio.

Check out these photos where you can see Carole and Johnny demonstrating their moves.

Hmmm.....Perhaps I should take it up after all.

7 Comments:

Rosie said...

Interesting, haven't seen much of Chris Evans for a while.
No-one ever warns you about the aches and pains of lifting children, carrying children etc. My 4 year old has aged me atleast 20 years!

Melitsa said...

Ouch!
Hope you are better soon.

Her indoors said...

Hi Rosie - yes, I'm sure that the lifting and carrying over the last six and a half years have been a gradual build up to this particular event, even if I've taken care to lift carefully.

Hi Melitsa - thanks for the well-wishes. Between the painkillers and the gentle exercising, it seems to have eased a little this evening. Long may that trend continue.

Anonymous said...

sounds painful. I try not to look up ailments on internet as end up in full hypacondriac mode!

Her indoors said...

Hi debsf - LOL, I think you're right :-D

Jo Beaufoix said...

trapped nerve is agony. My mum had that, along with a slipped disc when I was a child. When the pain hit she used to grab the nearest thing, which was occasionally my arm. I had finger shaped bruises to prove it.
Hope it's much better now.

Her indoors said...

Hi Jo - yep it was agony. Fortunately it's better now and I was very grateful for all the help that was on offer, especially as 21st C Dad was away for the whole weekend. I hope your mum had no trouble since. I've had the warnings that now that it's happened, I'd better look out.