Thursday, January 24, 2008

Can you tell what it is yet?


Tonight I am showcasing this wonderful piece of junk modelling as engineered by none other than my little 3 year old.

He loves nothing better than having a whole load of waste paper to shred and gluing it onto any surface in his sight and at times like this I find it works better if his attentions are directed towards cardboard tubes and boxes rather than the walls and doors.


Where he has excelled on this occasion is in the creation of something that is not just an ornament, but an object that has a specific use. In fact, I know I am biased but I think it's genius.

So, can you tell what it is yet?

Go on have a go, before I reveal all.

...and remember it actually does have a real use and you don't have to stretch your imagination too far.

Perhaps, the next photo will give you a clue.....


Yes on this occasion he has invented his very own money box. In fact, it goes one step further...it is indeed a coin sorter, with sufficient space to manage 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 coins

I
t looks like we might have a mini Clive Sinclair or James Dyson in the making and I just wonder whether he can now push the boundaries a little further and convert all the loose change into nice, crisp notes! ahhhh there's an idea...all we need is a couple of circuit boards and a lick of paint and he'll be there.

Anyway, as well as showing off my little one's talents, I've also got some other interesting news. As part of its promotion of Zero Waste Week, the Waste Development team at St Edmundsbury Borough Council is also promoting my brand new blog The Rubbish Diet. This is very exciting but it does mean that the pressure is now on in an "eek" kind of way...so any extra tips will be most welcome, such as Grumpy Old Woman's fantastic top-tip on pizza cartons and fresh fish.

In the meantime, I am more than happy to take bids for the unique 8-funnelled money manager as featured above. With a reserve price of £20, it's a bargain for anyone with a growing interest in financial management and as an early product of an inventor with a prosperous future ahead, it's sure to be a real investment as well as a talking point.....mmmm, I wonder if I would get away with that on eBay!


5 Comments:

Erica Douglas said...

Wow! That's amazing, I think you're right about him being a little inventor.

Unknown said...

fantastic! I think you should get him working on the next space shuttle- Im figuring- kids like space exploration, theres money to be made in it and perhaps he will be in a position to rival Branson :)
The only rubbish tip I can think of is to leave all the additional packaging at the supermarket- making it their problem and then they might do something. I did once read about a kid that saved all the milk bottle lids and sold them for recycling somewhere....

Bury Boy said...

For my £20 do I get £21 of coinage as part of the kit?

Anonymous said...

Oh No! Disaster!! I've fallen prey to the technology!! I just visited your new "Rubbish Diet" blog (which is fab by the way) and composed a great message (in my opinion!) for you...but I couldn't post it because the option for identifying myself with a "nickname" isn't there...my message got lost so I'm back here in my comfort zone!! I wanted to wax lyrical about the unecessary cellophane wrapping that you see over the top of cardboard packaging e.g. on boxes of teabags.....what's the point?!?! One is functional and recyclable, the other is unecessary, un-recyclable and a pain in the neck!

Her indoors said...

Hi Erica - I am now anticipating his next project. He keeps trying to get his hands on my laptop...I'm not ready for that stage yet, but who knows where he'll go next ;-D

Hi Zooarchaeologist - thanks for popping by...mmm...I'm now thinking I should actually let him at the laptop...but make sure he gets one of his own. And as for the rubbish, you are quite right about leaving the packaging at the supermarket, but perhaps it should be left in a room which could double as a creche, where kids could be left free with PVA glue while the parents shop! That's what Britain needs to support the next generation of inventors!

Good try Bury Boy....but now that I need to invest in a decent spec laptop with some design software for my 3 year old...I think I am going to have to raise the reserve price by a a £1000, but don't worry, I'll make sure it'll contain £20 of loose change ;-D

Hi Baba - ohhh noooo! Don't panic! I've fixed it and you can even be anonymous if you choose. Thank you for resubmitting the comments on this blog....and I agree...it is a downright nuisance. Feel free to add it to the other if you feel you can cope. I will be responding to comments on The Rubbish Diet tomorrow :-D

P.S. as a complete aside, I just thought saw an advert today for Liverpool, Capital of Culture 2008 and we are determined we are going to come up some time this year to share some of the delights...so do let me know your top tips about what's coming up!