Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Can you be a Zero Waster?


I don't really know why I am getting excited by this but our local council, St Edmundsbury, has announced that it is challenging residents to reduce their waste down to Zero. They will be running events during 10-17 March to see if people can rise to the challenge.

The events will encourage householders to change their everyday habits and reduce the amount of rubbish that goes into their black bins.

I've decided to register and take part in the challenge. How I'll do it I don't know, but I am sure that the hints and tips that the council will send to participants will be of great help.

If you live in St Edmundsbury and would like to join in, the first step is to complete the
online registration form in preparation.

They are also interested in organisations that would like to reduce the amount of waste that their businesses generate.

For further details please contact Kate McFarland, Waste Development Officer by email kate.mcfarland@stedsbc.gov.uk or telephone 01284 757337.

Go on....it'll be fun. I'll even set up a blog as part of the process. Even if you think it's a "load of rubbish" I bet I can make even my rubbish (or lack of it) interesting.


6 Comments:

Display Name said...

I've registered!

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed at the challenge...but seriously, how is it possible to reduce your waste to zero.....? I suppose it depends largely on the extent of the recycling facilities you have available to you. Where we live there is variation between neighbouring postcodes regarding what can and can't be put in the recycling bins....wierd!

Anonymous said...

I just read an excellent post on this that brings up a different point of view that I found interesting on a mom and family blog that I came upon looking at recycyling posts in regards to baby's disposable diapers.

Jan from Unique Baby Gear, Baby Ideas, Nursery Themes and Decor

Her indoors said...

Great news headless! Of course, I insist that you keep us all updated ;-D

Hi Baba - so true, although there is one woman I know if in Bury St Edmunds who is rumoured not to have any bin at all. Oh I wish.

The trick for me will be to make a real special effort to not buy food which has any form of packaging and to ensure that I buy and use a limited amount of food for our meals. We do pretty well with our residual waste at the moment, using only 1 50 litre bag per week for a family of four. However, I guess I can do better. ;-D

Thanks for the Tip Off Jan. It is an interesting article and worth a lot. I certainly live by that and agree with what Claire says. Today there is so much cheap rubbish about, it quickly become rubbish in such a short period of time. Thanks for popping by ;-D

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee. What a brilliant idea.

Her indoors said...

Thanks for your support Jo...I just hope it continues to be ;-D