Thursday, December 13, 2007

I love glitter


It's official. I've come out of the "Art Closet" to confess my love of glitter and all things that sparkle. I've loved glitter ever since I can remember and as soon as the PVA glue and pots of glitter come out of the cupboard I am transported back to my childhood in the 70s, when activity time with the sparkly stuff used to feel like heaven.

It's this time of year when glitter really comes into its own, when making Christmas cards and tree decorations is not complete unless it is adorned with the twinkly glitter. It is purely magical.


Okay it is messy and I hear many a story about households where glitter is officially banned. "Bah humbug!"

When we indulge in glitter days, I enjoy the cleaning up process which actually leaves my laminate floors sparkling. Not in the traditional domestic sense (aka gleaming), you'll understand, but more in the creative yet literal sense, featuring a subtle layer of shininess that catches the light and reflects a lovely colour.

Bizarrely, my love of glitter is not just limited to the visual delights. When I think of glitter, I can't help reminiscing back to the music of the 1970s and the impact of glam rock.

Another key milestone that comes to mind is one of my first albums which was bought as a Christmas present to accompany my first turntable when I was just 9. The shiny and sparkly album cover of Rock n' Roller Disco left a memorable image that has stayed with me. The album itself was as much fun as the cover, with hits such as Video Killed the Radio Star, I Don't Like Mondays and Back of my Hand.



Coming back to the subject of Glitter, according to Wikipedia it was invented by Henry Ruschmann at his Hereford Cattle farm in Bernardsville, New Jersey, USA. Some speculate that it was invented in 1934. Others claim that it was invented soon after World War II. Today the company that Ruschmann founded Meadowbrook Inventions is the world's leading manufacturer and supplier of glitter and has been for over fifty years and claims to produce 20,000 types of glitter.

20,000....WOW!

For a glitter lover the one thing that concerns me is the eco-friendliness of the product. I can only balance that concern by the application of moderation.

Who am I kidding....when you are a glitter addict, it's hard to give up!


Myspace Text - http://www.sparklee.com

12 Comments:

Bury Boy said...

Gary Glitter and the Glitter band ( before his problems) Rock n Roll parts 1 and 2. Slade with noddy holder, merry christmas...... Roy wood oh the magic of the seventies..

Her indoors said...

Wow - Roy Wood - now that was I call "A Look".
BTW....I can't finish without bursting into "I wish it could be Christmas everyday"

Anonymous said...

Don't mention the "G" word! lol.
..I need your input folks..
Need some help with your Fav Xmas Tunes.. want to play?
Appy Santa!
:-)

Florries Mum said...

Was I don't Like Mondays really that long ago? Is this a sign of age?

pog-Definately The Pogues with the late great Kirsty McColl-gets me foot-stomping every time.

Her indoors said...

Hi Pog - love your new photo...is it really you...are you really Santa?

Okay ... firstly I agree with FM about the The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl.

I am also a sucker for the traditional stuff...so I'd have to include...

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire;
White Christmas;

Little Drummer Boy (the Bowie/Bing Crosby recording was great!);

Finally, it's a bit like bubblegum, but Wham's Last Christmas always takes me back to my teenage year's so it cannot be left out.

Florries Mum - I know what you mean...it does only seem like it was only 15 years ago (and no more!) ;-D

Anonymous said...

I love glitter too. In fact one year (on an old car) I put glue on the bonnet the boot and the roof and then sprinkled silver glitter on it. Admittedly I had had a drink or two and was inspired by the beauty of a frosty night!!

Her indoors said...

That's a great idea. I would have loved to have done this on my old car. I couldn't do it to my new VW though...not even in another 10 years.

Anonymous said...

Hi 21st CM

Yes, it's not really me. That's Evil Santa (not related) :)

Thanks for the Christmas tune list, and they are up and playing!

;-D

Her indoors said...

Brilliant, Pog - great list. If anyone else wants to add any extras, I notice that there are a few more slots... so please continue to send in your suggestions ;-D

Bury Boy said...

Its christmas.... So it must be
Merry christmas everybody ( spelling) from Noddy and the boys.

SLADE

Her indoors said...

Good one Bury Boy...Pog hope you've picked this one up ;-D

Anonymous said...

Good one bury boy!
I think "Slade" only made One Xmas song (Merry christmas everybody) and I found it online! Just one more slot 21st CM.. ;-D