Thursday, October 04, 2007

This could be life on Moreton Hall


This week, I took a walk down to the Cotton Lane Allotments in Bury St Edmunds.

My visit was prompted by the news that the October edition of the Moreton Hall Directory features a request from the local council for anyone interested allotments in Moreton Hall to get in touch. To support the request, the MHD has printed an article that I submitted which features my childhood memories of helping my family in their kitchen garden and highlights why I am interested in having my own allotment locally.

Allotments are a topical issue. Councils across the country have taken steps to replace allotments with new housing, but with an increasing trend in householders taking an interest in allotments, some councils are beginning to work with developers to feature allotment space on new developments.

For residents in Moreton Hall, it is great news that the council is taking an interest in providing allotment facilities and researching demand in our area. There are so many benefits to owning an allotment and as well as growing low cost produce, benefits for local families include a hands-on learning experience, a healthy outdoor lifestyle and close links with other members of the community.

Living on a new housing development, I was interested in seeing how the Cotton Lane allotments sit alongside the new Hopkins houses that have been built next door. In my opinion, the allotments fit comfortably alongside the new development. It could be argued, in the eyes of the allotment holder, the new development does not sit so comfortably alongside the allotments, but one can understand that view as the allotments were there first.

Personally, I am hoping that allotment space will be provided on the land that has been reserved for leisure use and I hope that there are enough Moreton Hall residents to make this happen.

However to make it happen, interested parties must write to the Town Clerk at Bury St Edmunds Town Council, specifying your interest in renting an allotment in this area.

Bury St Edmunds Town Council
Town Council Offices
18-19 Guildhall Street
Bury St Edmunds
IP33 1QD

The best advice is not to leave it to someone else, thinking that they might write in, as the opportunity may be lost. If you are interested, the best thing to do is to send a letter as soon as you read this. Further advice is available in the Moreton Hall Directory.

Here are a few relevant articles and examples of projects where allotments have been planned for or already integrated into new developments.

There's Life in the Allotment (The Times)
Plans for Midwinter begin to take shape (an example of a development plans in Cheltenham)
Allerton Bywater Millennium Community (an example of a development in Leeds)

And the next move....I hope to see you at the vegetable plot. You'll recognise me. I'll be the green allotmenteer grasping for advice!

6 Comments:

Rosie said...

Hi 21st Century Mummy! We have allotments at the back of our house (they are a rare site these days), thankfully they cannot be built on the next 75 years which is good. A local housing development is going to build around them instead. I suppose that's a compromise except no-one told us they would buy half the land belonging to my daughter's school field to build on as well!

Her indoors said...

Hi Ingenious - At least those allotments are protected, thank goodness. Great to hear from you and I hope you're keeping well and keep your fingers crossed for us in Moreton Hall.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hope it works out sweetie. The allotments look fab.

Christina S said...

Excellent post - and I hope lots of Moreton Hall residents will write.

Anonymous said...

Hi, perhaps you would like to promote this petition on the Government website, http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Keep-allotments/#detail ,
See if you can get a contingent of BSE signatures?

Her indoors said...

Hi Mike - thanks for this...sorry I've been tardy in catching up with it all....It's been a whirl of late. Yes I will definitely promote it. Thanks you for sharing...I'll catch up with you guys soon ;-D