Friday, September 28, 2007

Two things...

....I've never done before

1. Drunk Kosovan Wine (yes, you read correctly...wine produced in Kosovo).

2. Making muffins at 6.30 this morning for a Macmillan Coffee Morning, after an evening drinking Kosovan wine.

That was the summary...this is the background...

Last night we played host to one of 21st C Dad's old colleagues who has been in Kosovo for nearly a year on secondment to a United Nations project. As a present, he brought us a bottle of Vranaci, a dry red wine from the Rahovec area. It was a nice tasting wine and quite light.

The evening was interesting with accounts of his experiences, how he's been learning to speak the languages including Albanian and learning how important it is to use the right language in the right circumstances. We also enjoyed the stories of how meetings can take 3 or 4 times as long as equivalent sessions over here, due to the number of languages and the full translation that needs to take place between comments.

When serving dressed crab as a starter, there was the moment of realisation that the crab cost twice as much as a typical three course meal in Kosovo. He eats out every night because at 3 Euros per meal it is very cheap!

21st C Dad was pretty impressed that I'd pulled together a domestic goddess kind of meal at such short notice...especially after my technological indulgences this week.

I must say...I am pretty impressed too and am today continuing to celebrate my domesticity and proudly shout...YES I CAN DO IT...I was even up at 6.30 this morning making muffins for the school's Macmillan Coffee Morning.



It's a shame they looked like rock cakes, but they were delicious and were all eaten leaving me with just the plate to bring home.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

We've "gone" Nigella too at the mo - 3 of hers on the run now - Coq au Reisling Chicken is divine!! I could have sold loads of your muffins at our Macmillan coffee morning - I should have pre-booked you - there's nothing would get me up and cookinmg by 06:30 though!! LOL xxxxxxx

Picklesmum said...

Imagine the shame if yours were the only uneaten cakes at the end of the coffee morning. I'd eat them myself I think!

Her indoors said...

Hi Baba - I think it's yours for dinner tonight then, even if it's a lonnnnng way away! As for booking me, Thank you but I think I would have had to have been up at 2am

(p.s. am just listening to BBC Breakfast news, where they are running through headlines and apparently thanks to her recipe, sales of Riesling have increased by 30%)

Hi Picklesmum - that was the worry. When I arrived and saw all of the pretty cakes with icing and sprinkles, I thought "oh no, I am going to have to eat them all myself". Instead I ate a chocolate cake and left it to fate. Phew - am so glad they were eaten ;-D

Jo Beaufoix said...

I am so impressed.
And good to see people know appropriate gifts for us lady bloggers.

Her indoors said...

Yes Jo - Wine is always a great gift ;-D

ASK Kosovo said...

Hi 21CM,

I'm glad you enjoyed the Kosovan wine! I've been living in Kosovo for two and a half years and really enjoy the wine and all the other local produce. I've started a small campaign there to encourage people to buy local (I have a facebook group 'Could I have a glass of Kosovan mineral water please'!). I discovered at the weekend that Kosovan wine is now going to be available in the UK. A great way to toast the newest country in the world, and help their development... http://www.offlicencenews.co.uk/articles/69872/Kosovo-wines-head-for-UK-multiple.aspx?categoryid=9059