Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Perfect House-Wi-Fi-Wife


Excuse me while I indulge. I am now in IT heaven having recently been blessed with a new Wi-Fi enabled laptop (oops sorry - notebook) and am sat on the sofa with my new piece of kit! It takes me back to the days when I used to work for a living, you know the 24/7 salaried kind of work.

One of my last jobs was as a research manager for a London based consultancy back in 2000, where my role included keeping abreast of technological developments and trends. I remember researching forecasts in mobile PC usage and the development of Wi-Fi hotspots.

Little did I know then that seven years later I would be indulging in the novelty of sending emails from an indoor play centre in Sudbury, which offers Wi-Fi access. Just in case you're wondering, 21st C Dad was also there too, supervising the children while I played with my new toy like an excited kid at Christmas. It did strike me as bizarre that this particular establishment was advertising "With our Wi-Fi access, you can work while the kids happily play" alongside other signs that suggest "Children must always be supervised". Thank goodness 21st C Dad was there or I might have been a bit confused"

Anyway, I am now looking forward to discovering the Wi-Fi hotspots in Bury St Edmunds. I can now see a new career ahead of me. Move over Nigella Lawson and make room for the Wi-Fi Goddess. Anthea Turner, you may be the Perfect Housewife, but make way for the Perfect House-Wi-Fi-Wife.

So, where will I go...? You might just see me blogging in Tickety Boo, or even The Lounge. There's the opportunity to relax at the Fox Inn or drop in for a daytime coffee in SoBar, not to mention the range of other places that can be found around the town.

So it's a case of have notebook...will travel...Just watch out for the live blogging posts that may just appear over the next week as I indulge in the novelty of my new technology. Please bear with me...normal service will be resumed soon.



10 Comments:

Jo Beaufoix said...

Wow.
Can I have one too please?

todaysdaze said...

I am confused having been out of the loop for a while, but Anthea Turner "the perfect housewife" didnt she pinch someone elses husband?

Her indoors said...

Jo - it's great not being constrained to a desk...I daren't reveal where I am posting comments from at the moment, but it highlights the benefits greatly...don't worry the location isn't some dubious corner somewhere....honest ;-D

Hi Todaysdaze - A big hello to you over the pond! Ms Turner now saunters around advising women on how to look after their homes on one of those reality tv programmes...I don't think she pinches their husbands afterwards though...I guess it's a case of "been there done that".

Jo Beaufoix said...

You were in the bathroom weren't you??
I have more boggy bling for you dear.
Come play.

Anonymous said...

Any exscuse to go out for a coffee. Bury Boy once worked for an ad agency locally, and Anthea Turner was employed for a very short time. She exited rapidly after she crashed a company car and it was discovered that she didn't have a driving licence. Never see that in her CV. Not quite so perfect after all.

Anonymous said...

Any exscuse to go out for a coffee. Bury Boy once worked for an ad agency locally, and Anthea Turner was employed for a very short time. She exited rapidly after she crashed a company car and it was discovered that she didn't have a driving licence. Never see that in her CV. Not quite so perfect after all.

Christina S said...

Brilliant news indeed. Can you suss out the free Wi-fi places? The Fox, The Lounge and Tickety Boo are free, but you have to pay in Starbucks - booooooo!

Her indoors said...

Hi Jo - no it wasn't the bathroom...I'll leave you guessing on that one. I'm coming over soon to look at the bloggy bling... ;-D

Hi Florries mum...I know...My friend Norma's husband Derek always ribs us about coffee...now he's ribbing us about blogging...now they go together very well. That is so naughty of Anthea Turner...I bet Bury Boy has got a few stories there ;-D


Hi Ruby.....Boooooo to Starbucks too - I'll suss out the scene.

MarkG said...

Starbucks have free wifi for this Friday (28th Sept) apparently: See WiFi Friday

Her indoors said...

Hi MarkG - That's a great top-tip. Thank you. I'll publicise the Starbucks day when I do my live blog tomorrow :-)