Monday, September 17, 2007

I've been having fun


I don't normally settle well into Mother & Toddler groups, mainly because I often come away thinking I am not normal. I don't want to go into any major explanation here as I don't think I could handle the rush of psychotherapists offering to help, but suffice to say I've tried a few and have not been tempted to go back to many.

However, today was different...there was no chatting about anything to do with children, no comparing notes, no separating children who wanted to play with the same toy and definitely no little cliques sat nattering while the children were off playing...no, this was much more refreshing...

....because today, we went to the Theatre Royal Parent and Toddler group at the Guildhall in Bury St Edmunds, where we ran back and forth in a fun game of tag, opened up an imaginary treasure chest to find some magic shoes which made us run, dance and skate. We pretended to be monkeys, played follow my leader, kicking our arms and legs in all directions and danced along to the Mary Poppins song Chim Chiminee. It was wicked...it was awesome...it was creative...it was shared time...it was fabulous exercise...but most of all it was a "must go back" kind of activity.

The leader, Sam, was wonderful. We had a brilliant time...and just in case you're wondering...he who rules the daytime roost thought it was great too!

Photo of Mary Poppins courtesy of IMDB.

7 Comments:

Jo Beaufoix said...

Ahh that sounds fab.
We just did the usual nursery rhymes and fighting over the same toy at ours this morning.
Big sighhh

Miss M seemed to enjoy it though.
And they had nice biscuits...

Christina S said...

Sounds brilliant! I never liked mother and toddler groups and used to long for some sort of alternative. M & T groups for me were a Catch 22 situation. You get depressed if you don't go and you get depressed if you do - but for quite different reasons. Unfortunately I only found out about the Theatre Royal mother and toddler group when it was too late, but glad you've found it!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Come over and play young lady. You have an award.

Display Name said...

Hi 21CM.
Comment on your screenshot, if I may be so bold?!:

Top Tech Tip #1: Did you know that if you press the Alt+PrintScrn (PrintScrn is normally along the top of your keyboard) keys you'll get a copy of just the program you're working in and not everything on screen.

P.S. Glad to see you're using Firefox. But why have you got about 1 million instances of it open rather than open in separate Tabs within Firefox? (Tools > Options > Tabs).

Luv the blog by the way, but am now returning to "lurking" mode...

Picklesmum said...

Oooooh, that told you didn't it 21stCM!!! I use firefox too, better check my tabs too.

Her indoors said...

Hi Jo - thanks for the award. I remember the days of arguing over the big plastic car and other ride-on toys. Of course there is the advantage that the little ones learn how to share at the same time, but we have all those experiences at home as well ;-D

Hi Ruby - you've said it in a nutshell, that's exactly how I feel. The M&T group in Moreton Hall was huge when I went along about 3 years ago - that sent me running off home as quick as I could at the end of it...some people are so surprised that I am shy. You'd love the Theatre Royal Group...why don't you see if you can baby-sit for a friend and come along one day ;-)

Hello Headless - thanks for coming out of the bushes and being bold enough to comment. Top tech tips are always welcome and I will have a go...look out for my next screen-shot ;-D

Hi Picklesmum - I always used to get told off by the IT dept for one thing or another (normally for experimenting too far with PC functionality e.g. what does DEL *.* do? (WARNING don't try that at home!. BTW FIREFOX ROCKS ;-D

Anonymous said...

When and where and Ill see you there, have M and T group fatigue!!!!