Sunday, September 02, 2007

Cool


After hitting the weekend with bated breath, we've had a cool time chilling in Cambridge.

Bree had to cancel. However it was still a busy weekend as we made last minute arrangements to meet up with friends Margot & Jerry. Margot is also in the Domestic Goddess category (you'd think the influence of my domesticated friends would have rubbed off, but to no avail). We haven't seen M & J and family for about 18 months and we'd been meaning to catch up through the Summer holidays so it was fortunate that we had most of Sunday free, especially as this was the last weekend before the start of school.

Again, M & J suggested coming here, which could have instilled similar levels of panic as Bree's intended descent had we not already made plans to go to Cambridge to buy a new Fridge/Freezer. So we thought that it would be a great place to meet up - kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Our old one has been on its last legs for some time and it was well overdue for a replacement. We have been reluctant to replace it for a number of reasons and a repair would also have been expensive. However, it was coming home from holiday to moldy cheese that finally made us take the plunge.

It's never nice having to fork out several hundred pounds on an unexpected purchase of an unexciting product ........until........you find yourself in the middle of a John Lewis department store full of top quality appliances, with a range of delectable choices before you.

...Suddenly, I turned from a disinterested domestic dysfunctional into queen of high-tech gadgetry, balancing the desire for an all-singing and dancing chilling system with the need for an eco-friendly cool dude. I never knew I had such excitement within...but...having selected a Siemens model with an A+ energy rating, in a "stainless steel look" finish AND a £90 discount, I am now getting very excited about its impending arrival.

21st C Dad is not quite as excited about the "frost free system", "humidity controlled salad drawers", "ice cube maker with twist release" functionality or indeed the "berry tray in freezer drawer". However, I think I might have got him with the "full width chrome bottle rack" and the "in-door touch control electronic controls". I'd better stop there as I expect the building anticipation is now becoming too intense for you all.

So, all-in-all a great day was had. Oh...and Margot & Jerry...in case you are reading, don't worry I give all my friends silly names...to protect your identity more so than mine. Thanks for being good sports over our domestic duties...and finally a message to Bree..... thanks for the let-off. Come at Christmas, where I am up there with Martha Stewart (well, in my dreams)!



4 Comments:

Em said...

I do actually enjoy buying stuff like that, sad arent i! We had to buy dishwasher few months ago and i spent a silly amount of money on something we just dont need but when everything looks so shiny and new i get sooooooooooo greedy!

Her indoors said...

Hi Em - I know what you mean when it comes to the crunch. We always do our best to get broken appliances fixed, but when the economics finally end with the need for a new appliance, I enjoy the devil within and once I've satisfied myself with a great energy rating it's game on. As I'm getting older though, we seem to be turning into our parents though and eeking things out for longer and longer...bizarrely I am beginning to find that as satisfying when it works ;-D

Christina S said...

Hee hee, I hope Margot and Jerry don't mind being Margot and Jerry!! (That was a really good programme, they don't make 'em like that any more!)

Her indoors said...

Hi Ruby - I'm yet to find out, but I too hope they don't mind being called Margot and Jerry.