Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Me Me Me Me Me


Ruby tagged me for a meme last week, prompting me to pull together 8 random facts about myself. Sorry it's taken so long but as regular readers know, I've been having too much fun. Anyway, grab a cup of tea and settle down for...


Random Fact no 1:

While growing up in Wales, I had to dress up for our annual St David's Day class photo. It was always a funny occasion, digging out the frilly Welsh hat, the shawl and the little apron (or pinny as my mam used to call it). Oh I nearly forgot, we also needed a daffodil or a leek with which to decorate the shawl (we were probably aged 5 or 6 in this class photo and please note, I am not the one picking my nose).


Random Fact no 2:


My dad died when I was very young, just before I turned 5 years old. He was killed in motorcycle accident. I still miss him and I hate motorbikes.


Random Fact no. 3:

I love peacock feathers. Many people think they are unlucky. However, studies of Feng Shui indicate that they bring good fortune. Here's one I drew yesterday ;-D



Random Fact no. 4:

In 1984 I sat in on a BBC Wales radio show broadcast with Molly Parkin. I was a 16 year old media studies student.
She was a naughty novelist. I didn't know at the time. I just remembered she had a strong character and dressed strangely.


Random Fact no 5:

I love crystals. I normally get mine from the Crystal Merchant in Bury St Edmunds.




Random Fact no 6:

Before having children I set up this news service for a consultancy in London. It's still going strong seven years later.



Random Fact no 7:

I hate plastic boxes but love Wicker baskets.




Random Fact no 8:


I am a now a very proud owner of a corset designed by Terry Fox. It was an unusual treat from 21st C Dad last Christmas, after he'd earned himself a serious promotion. It is the prettiest garment I have ever had and I will cherish it forever. It took me months to choose which design I liked and because it was handmade I needed several fittings, so I didn't get it until last week. To spare blushes, let me stress it is an outer garment that can be worn with jeans and is not an undergarment ( I certainly wouldn't be flashing my undies on a public blog). Anyway, after my final fitting I kept it on and paraded it through the streets of Bury St Edmunds before coming home to clean the floor. I felt a bit like Cinderella in need of a fairy godmother to send me off to the ball.


I hope you've enjoyed my personal meme. Thank you to Ruby for the opportunity to have a good ponder. I would now like to tag Ingeniousrose, Erica at Little Mummy, Melanie at Beansprouts and Mr Bean at I Need a Coffee.

My next task is to work on another meme on blogging. So watch this space and wait to be tagged ;-D


9 Comments:

Rosie said...

This is a very interesting meme 21st CM. I will get to work at once!

Erica Douglas said...

I did the dressing up thing for the Eisteddfod too :)

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your 8 facts,will look out for the others who have been asked to do the same.
When my daughter got married, Terry Fox made me a headpiece, It was so pretty I was almost afraid to wear it. I recieved lots of lovely comments about it.

Anonymous said...

Who is Terry Fox, and should I be worried if Florries Mum asks me for one of his ... " peices" does he make handbags.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry girls. I know EXACTLY who Terry Fox is and where he can be found, but have never plucked up the courage to go in the shop. Bury Boy may be worried if I asked for one of his pieces but I bet he wouldn't mind admiring the end result if it was a beautiful basque.
Apropos of nothing I would just like to say thank-you for all your postcards over your holidays. they have been a real tonic for me stuck at work, I almost feel that I have had a holiday, and makes you appreciate what is on your doorstep. Enjoy the rest of your hols.

Her indoors said...

IngeniousRose - love your meme, thanks so much for following it up.

Erica - you made it to the Eisteddfod! I'm ashamed to say that I've never been :-(

a.n.other - Terry Fox's designs are fabulous aren't they. I love the vintage element of her work. Can you take a photo of your lovely headpiece and email it over - Being a TF fan I'd love to see it.

Bury Boy - I don't think you have to worry at all, not many handbags in sight to tempt Florries mum. Bur I think that you should encourage her to visit. You might get a very pleasant surprise ;-)

Florries Mum - If I were you, I'd get down to the shop asap, before Bury Boy's wallet snaps shut. Lizzie the shop manager is delightful and will happily let you browse through the beautiful range. They sell gorgeous vintage brooches as well. Hee Hee...despite having a man's name, Terry is a glamorous lady. You can see a photo here:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_N1cUEuRBG3c/Rju77B1MHvI/AAAAAAAAAIY/8kxNIh387wo/s1600-h/IMG_18382.jpg
Glad you liked the postcards ~ having splashed the cash, especially in London, I'm now back to enjoying the free things in life.

Her indoors said...

Florries mum - I forgot to say...Terry is on the right. Lizzie the shop manager is the lady on the left.

Christina S said...

What interesting facts 21stC Mummy - and despite the fact I know you I've learnt lots of new things about you. I like your peacock feather drawing, s'lovely!

xxRubes.

Her indoors said...

Hi Ruby - thanks for your comments about the peacock drawing. I've just started sketching again ~ last tune was when I was about 11. Miss you, come back soon.