Sunday, May 27, 2007

Open Studios at Blackthorpe Barn


Today I took a break from a rainy Moreton Hall, to venture out of town to the beautiful environment of Blackthorpe Barn. It was the last weekend of the Open Studios exhibition which showcases works by talented artists throughout Suffolk.




The barn is a welcoming venue and it is always a delight to wander around and browse the paintings, sculptures, ceramics and accessories during the Open Studios exhibition. I obtained permission to take photos from the exhibition stewards, and despite a wide range of subjects, I found myself being drawn to beautiful paintings of poppies, of which I have included a few images below.

(Please note that these are my own photos and not the official images from the show. Some photos have been enlarged to show the relevant sections of the works. The copyright within these works remains with the artists).


Artist: Teresa Bavington-Barber (on left) Artist: Theronda Hoffman (on right)



Artist: Jill Hodgson (on left) Artist: Jennifer Freeman (on right)



Artist: Katie Walker (on left) Artist: Greta Hansen (on right)




Artist: David Elliott.





Artist: Claire Turner

All these items are available to buy. For more information or to contact the artists directly, visit the Suffolk Open Studios Website at http://www.suffolkopenstudios.co.uk/ . If you get a chance to get out and about during June, you also can visit the individual artists' studios.

Interestingly, while chatting to Jill Hodgson, an artist and exhibition co-ordinator, about the images of poppies, she showed me a copy of a cutting from yesterday's EADT. I hadn't been the only person to pick up on the use of poppies in this year's exhibition.



Sonia Carvill of the EADT has also mentioned it in her excellent review entitled "Fabulous, eclectic exhibition of art is not to be missed". Jill Hodgson has also used poppies very subtly in her media, which uses plaster and paint. As she said, poppies are beautiful and are always remembered.

I think that is why I was drawn to this striking flower today. Having recently walked around Moreton Hall with Ruby, author of Living in Bury St Edmunds, she remarked on the beautiful poppies which lined the pathways and fields and how appropriate that this was on land that was once occupied by the British and US Air Force during World War II.

With that thought, I picked up my umbrella and left the exhibition to head back to the poppies of Moreton Hall, while thinking about treating myself to the fabulous textile bowl featured above.







0 Comments: