Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Mummy, why don't you have a winky?"

"And if you don't have a winky how do you wee?"

And that's how my day started, with my five year old taking a sudden interest in anatomy!

I know that these questions shouldn't be a surprise and we should be prepared for when they hit! Without preparation, you end up with that flustered sinking feeling, wishing that you weren't the only female in the house. So many things to consider, too much detail will result in him knowing too much for his age and I don't want to be responsible for the chinese whispers in the playground. Too little detail creates other problems and future awkwardness when you have to re-explain.

This is one area where you can't just say "go and ask daddy"! Being the only female in the house and of course the mother, it is my job to explain. However, when you're just getting ready for school, that's not the best time!

Thankfully I was offered a lifeline.

My very interested two year old piped up.

"Mummy no winky but got bottom"

Cue five year old: "Of course...doh...Mummy wees from her bottom".

Sometimes, it's easier for children to answer their own questions and I know I took advantage. I can breathe easy for now, but it's going to come back and get me. Next time, I will be prepared.



1 Comment:

Christina S said...

LOL 21stCMummy, that reminds me of a question my (male) cousin asked me when we were about 8 years old, which was: "If girls do wees out of their bottoms, what happens if they need to poo at the same time?"

So be prepared for that one next :-D

(PS My cousin is now over 40 with 2 daughters. I assume he must have found out about "front" bottoms at some point)