Friday, January 11, 2008

Gadgets or Glamour?

Can someone please enlighten as to why you never ever see half dressed (undressed) men on the cover of gadget magazines?

Not that I am particularly interested in that. However, while browsing the magazines at our local shop this morning, I couldn't help notice the front covers of what are probably the UK's leading gadget magazines. They didn't look that different to the covers of FHM and the like.






Is it me or does this image portray a male-oriented market?

Well the news on this is women buy gadgets too. So if the publishers of T3 and Stuff are reading, come on guys, lay off the corny front-covers. Okay, for certain members of the public it might be a case that "sex sells" but I'm afraid that as a 21st century woman who loves 21st century technology, this approach is definitely a turn-off!

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be a marketing ploy. If anyone can come up with a more appealing cover I'm sure these magazines would be interested as they are all competing for sales.

Anonymous said...

I can't enlghten anyone but the whole topic depresses me "..."http://21stcenturymummy.blogspot.com/2008/01/gadgets-or-glamour.html

Bury Boy said...

Who has the TV control gadget in your house then?

If there were a group of magazines on Chocolate and other things "girlie" and competition, I dare say they would have pictures of pop star type men. R Brand types no doubt, all showing there chests....

Anonymous said...

I disagree bury boy.......most girlie mags I see or read tend to have girlie covers....
the fact is that picturtes of attractive women sell products to both sexes - there are very few men who could successfully sell magazines by appearing on the cover. Women look for a picture of someone they want to look like or admire.......in my opinion! True, there are those who look for men on a front cover but I doubt that this is the mass market.....
Just a thought anyway!

Her indoors said...

Hi David - you're most certainly right. Although what I don't understand is why they just don't use lovely photos of shiny gadgets. After all that's what people want to look at and surely that's appealing in itself. People don't buy these magazines because they want to see semi-dressed babes. There are other magazines for that. (I guess that some might feel it's a bonus) ;-D

Hi Debbie - I know what you mean. There's another magazine which is a gaming magazine, which gets the same treatment.

Hi Bury Boy - LOL - but what you fail to recognise is that most women would just be interested in the chocolate

Baba's right there are lots of girlie magazines, all competing for attention and very few of these have pictures of bare-chested men.

P.S. as for the remote control...I put up a great fight, normally as a result of prior research, which reduces the need for channel-flicking approach (now that's another topic for conversation) ;-D

Hi Baba - it's so true...and well said :-D