Saturday, August 04, 2007

Postcard from...Suburbia


Greetings from our suburban hideaway!

After a week or so holidaying in the hot-spots of East Anglia, we have spent the last couple of days relaxing in our garden, nibbling at the blackberries that keep ripening day-by-day in the hot sunshine and doing...er...nothing...except playing the odd game of chess with our inquisitive 5 year old.

Oops... I tell a lie...the one area where I did overexhert myself was painting various pieces of garden furniture, including the boys' picnic bench on which I attempted a camouflage pattern. With a pot of paint and a paint-brush in my hand I become 21st C Dad's real nemesis!

Anyway, the sunshine has kept us in the holiday spirit, aided by the quirky sails that we bought in Wells-Next-The-Sea. The heat of the sun particularly got to the children yesterday. With an old paddling pool laid on for entertainment, they couldn't wait to strip and splash about. Getting their clothes on again was a bit of a challenge, but I think they managed their pyjamas by bedtime.

This evening was magical. 21st C Dad has gone out to indulge in his hobby, so left me in charge of the BBB (bath, book, bed) routine. As a result, I thought I would inject an element of surprise, which consisted of an outdoor bath in the paddling pool, freshly popped popcorn for supper and bedtime stories in the den (as featured in today's postcard). I am now paying for such excitement and the disruption of routine. However, the fun was worth it and I know the squeals from upstairs will gradually subside as they become more tired.

For me, I think it's time for some wine while I plan the rest of the holiday, which will include a visit from an old friend and possibly a teddy bear's picnic with a group of mums from school. With 21st C Dad not returning to work until the end of next week, there's much more fun to be had...albeit on our doorstep, so he can gently ease himself back into the office routine.

Wish you were here...to enjoy the squeals of delight (and the wine)...21st Century Mummy xxx





3 Comments:

Rosie said...

21st century mummy, that is without doubt the best bedtime routine I have ever heard. Quite fantastic! You put the rest of us to shame.

Christina S said...

Lovely summer holiday day, just as they should be :-)

Her indoors said...

Ingeniousrose ~ don't panic ;-D. This is not my regular duty...21st C Dad normally does his fab made-up story routine. I am just the understudy. However, as the understudy, when I have to perform I give the performance of a life-time, just to make sure I get remembered by my audience and they don't end up regretting that the leading performer wasn't available that night. :-D.

Ruby - I must now give you credit for your excellent stories by candlelight routine. I'm definitely going to give that one a go! ;-)